Thursday, June 2, 2011

Caterpillar

Yesterday DH found this guy crawling up the front door frame. I plopped him in a jar to figure out what kind of caterpillar he is, then the internet went out for the afternoon. I couldn't wait that long so we headed to the library to find a book on caterpillars. Not much luck there. I've decided that I need to write a book where you find the moth/butterfly based on the caterpillar not the other way around.

Luckily the internet came back on around 9pm and with diligent searching and my humble google-fu, I found our caterpillar. Well, I narrowed it down to two, Heterocampa astartoides and Heterocampa astarte. I still haven't figured out the difference between the two. I'm leaning toward the h. astartoides because the pictures are from Texas.

Photobucket

Photobucket


It is happily munching away on some live oak leaves on my desk.

No comments: