Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Garden Update

The garden is growing.  We've been blessed with some rain this spring. We're lucky because it looks like we're headed for another very hot and very dry summer.


The Good

green beans
Photobucket

watermelon
Photobucket

tomatoes
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I'm excited because it looks like my new tomato growing plan will have some success. I have baby tomatoes all over one of my plants. Another is covered in flowers that just opened this weekend, so more baby tomatoes are on their way.


The Bad
Photobucket


Those are the tomatoes in the self watering container. They grew so well in it last year, but this year they look awful. They look all shriveled and yellow and aren't growing big and lush. The few tomatoes that set are growing but that's it. You can see the difference between these and the ones in the raised beds in the background.

I first thought I was using too much water, so I let it go for while. Next, I thought not enough water. I tried epsom salts and organic tomato fertilizer. I just think I need to let them go. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the other two plants don't fail on me now.

I'm still trying to figure out when to harvest the onions I planted. I'm suppose to wait until the leaves fall over.  The necks are not as stiff so I think it might be soon.

No comments: