Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How to make a dish towel apron

A friend of mine asked me how I made aprons for A's party.

I bought a pack of dishtowels from Big Lots, 3 for $3.00. They were big towels, maybe 20x30.

I held the towel up to A and folded in the corner so that it slanted from her shoulder to her waist. I then sewed the towel about an inch away from the fold to form a pocket for the tie.
Photobucket


It was long so I folded it up and sewed a pocket. That sort of sagged in the middle, so I sewed it up the middle making two front pockets.
Photobucket


After I finished sewing, I pulled yarn through the pockets formed from sewing the corners. I started at the waist on one side, leaving a loop at the top to go around the neck and then back down the other side.
Photobucket


I did find that they needed help putting the aprons on. The girls picked the apron up by the yarn to pull around their neck and the towel would just slide off the yarn tie. Instead I had the girls hold the towel at the top while I pulled the yarn and tied it back. I used wool-ease thick & quick yarn as the tie on the apron. I really wanted to find some clothesline type rope but couldn't find what I wanted. The yarn was a quick and easy solution. Next time I do this I'll use a dark towel with light thread so you could actually see the stitching. But hey, it's only my first tutorial.

No comments: