Friday, May 16, 2008

Extra luck for me tonight

I was going to ask for extra prayers but that might imply that there was actually something wrong. Nothing is wrong except for the fact that I am one of the chaperons at the Brownie sleepover tonight.

I know that I will need lots of extra patience tonight. I don't deal well with my own children when they make excessive noise/whine/cry needlessly/etc. I'm not a very empathetic/sympathetic/overly caring person. Yes, if my kids fall down and skin their knees, I hold them and clean them up and sometimes give them a bandaid. (As a direct result of growing up with my mother, I'm very stingy with bandaids. She always said let it air. DH insists that I give them a bandaid to make them feel better. I think it is a waste because they pull them off withing 10 minutes of putting it on.) But if my kids fuss because they aren't getting their way or they get hurt while messing around/fighting with sibling/doing something stupid, well then they need to buck up and deal.

So if I don't do this well with my own children, then how am I going to deal with 19 8 year old girls? Lots of deep breaths and Hail Marys tonight for me.

Luckily the troop leader, aka Sister #2, has decided that there are strict rules on this adventure. If a girl gets up crying for her mother, the mother will be called to pick the girl up and take her home. We're not dealing with homesickness. Mothers were warned ahead of time that if their daughters cannot make it through the night, they need to come sleepover too.

Another chaperoning mother said she needs at least 7 hours of sleep and she is fully prepared to be the mean one and make them go to bed. I pray that works.

Still wish me luck. I think I'll need it.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Saying a Hail Mary for you right now. You are a brave, brave woman.

Kristin said...

So, did you survive?