Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So I'm giving up what?

Today is Ash Wednesday. The beginning of lent and time to start giving something up until Easter.

The question of what to give up has been the topic of dinner conversation in our family for a few days. I campaigned for no television but the whole family revolted on that one. DH is giving up sweets. He's on a weight loss mission. A is still debating. She wanted to give up unhealthy drinks like her cousin. I had to remind her that she doesn't drink sodas & juice boxes and stuff. She drinks water, milk and sometimes apple juice. That doesn't count.

I've been debating on what to do. I need to give up sweets. Working out of the house, I find I get the munchies way too often and I tend to look for sweet things. I need to give up diet coke. I've been drinking way too much lately. 3-4 or more a day. Not good. I should probably give up beer. I don't drink that much but it is something that I like and it would be a sacrifice.

I went to mass this morning. The homily was about how Lent is a time to make sacrifices. We say no to things that are not sinful, but indulgent. By saying no to these things, we gain the strength to say no to that which is sinful and wrong for us. In going back to the reading, the priest said that we should not boast or wail about our sacrifice. We shouldn't gripe and groan and let the world now how hard a sacrifice we are making. If making the sacrifice makes us miserable person to live with, then we need to rethink our sacrifice.

That was the wrong thing to say to me. I had basically decided that I would give up sweets and diet coke. But I wonder if I will be a miserable person without diet coke. Maybe instead of giving it up totally, I should just limit myself to 1 a day? Or am I just using the sermon as an excuse to not give up diet code?

I guess I'll take it one day at a time and try. It will be good for me and give me strength.

No comments: