Friday, February 15, 2008

The perils of room sharing

My boys have never been good sleepers. J didn't sleep through the night until he was well over a year old. For B, it was after 18 months. It was a long hard year and half and I'm still not sure how I survived the exhaustion. Since then he's been a great sleeper. He has his occasional nights but he generally sleeps from 7:30-7:30. Some mornings he'll lie in the crib until after 9:00. But not anymore.

J has always been an early riser. He's up before 6:15 most mornings. There are those glorious mornings where he sleeps past 7:00. But those are few, very few.

This morning J came into our room at 5:45. He wanted breakfast and to watch tv. I was about to send him back to bed when I heard a little pitter pat coming down the hall. Then I heard B calling out "Daddy." I scooped up B and took them both back to bed, which didn't go so well. J was crying that he wanted to get up. B was crying because he didn't want back in the big bed or in the crib. I took him out to sit in a chair which made J mad. He didn't want to go back to bed if B wasn't going back to bed. Eventually I got them both back down and I went to pretend to sleep for at least another 20 minutes. Which is exactly how long it took J to get back up and come begging for breakfast and tv again. At least B was in the crib and he couldn't get out.

Consequences of the early morning rising. B is a cranky little devil this morning. Nothing is making him happy at all, everything is making him mad. I'm a cranky big devil this morning. Hopefully we'll both get a good nap this afternoon.

No comments: