Annoyance caused me to start googling issues with our 13 year old dryer. We got it when we purchased our first house in 1999. It has never had a problem before now. Most of google pointed to the motor overheating and shutting down. Motor overheating causes were generally attributed to lint buildup.
I clean the lint screen after every load, but we never opened up the dryer and cleaned the whole thing out. While I made lunches, I watched youtube videos on how to clean the dryer. Of couse I can't find the link to the video I found that featured our exact dryer and showed me what to do. Once the morning had settled down, I asked DH where his nut drivers or socket set was. I think that scared him because he elected to help me.
I think DH thought this was a fruitless endeavor. We clean the lint trap, we should be fine. Nope. Once we opened the front panel, there was a layer of lint inside the dryer. Next we removed the lint trap. Wow!
I don't know if you can tell from the photos, but there was at least an inch or more of lint built up in the trap. It was so thick, I had to use a spoon to scoop it out of the crevices.
After cleaning out the lint, it stopped on my first trial run. So much for cleaning out the lint. I started researching motors, thermostats and replacement. I'm comparing the cost of calling a repairman v the cost of parts & shipping for DH to repair it (and not being completely sure exactly what is wrong) v the price of replacement. I'm leaning toward replacement but I'm not sure. I guess I'll just keep pushing it until it completely dies and make that decision later.