Saturday, January 26, 2008

So how did I marry my husband?

We are very different people. He's a social guy, I'm not. He's outgoing, I'm not. I guess the whole opposites attract thing holds true.

So yesterday afternoon about 3:30, he says, "We should invite the L family over and you should make the pork tenderloin."

I just balked. It was 3:30 on Friday. You don't call people up and invite them over at the last minute on a Friday night. And I don't make the pork tenderloin in 3 hours for D.L. (the husband who is a fabulous cook) and potentially mess it up and embarrass myself with either an undercooked or overcooked tenderloin. Ever since we ate at the L's house this summer, I've been dreading cooking for D! After DH promised to call and do the inviting, I promised to make the pork as long as he went to the store. Luckily the pork on sale wasn't a tenderloin and he came home with chicken instead.

The meal was fine and I wasn't embarrassed to serve it to D. We had a great time sitting around talking with D & C and D's mom who was in town. The children played together very well. They put together a play for us that kept them busy finding costumes and practicing. There was no crying until the end of the night. J was getting tired and someone stepped on his toe. It really was a lovely evening.

It was such a nice evening, it made me happy that I married the kind of guy who makes me invite people over for dinner at the last minute on a Friday night. I need that every now and then.

No comments: