Since I'm not getting a new one and this one will probably last another 14 years (as long as I periodically clean out the lint), I decided to fix it's cosmetic issues.
I've been pouring soap in the washer, rinsing the cup and setting it on top of the dryer every time I do the wash. That's not the best idea because the top of the dryer started to rust. At first it was just a few spots, then the enamel paint started bubbling up, and finally it started flaking off.
It bothered me. A lot. Enough to make me do something about it. I started looking on Pinterest and found this pin which led to this blog post. I wasn't going to go all out and paint it yellow with flower designs, but I read enough to figure out I could handle the top of the dryer.
It has been stewing in my head for a week or so. I finally put it on my to-do list. Yesterday's task was to buy spray paint. I decided to use a primer made for metal with rust issues, and followed up with glossy white.
Today, I added 'paint the dryer' to my list and then I did it.
Here is the rust. I sanded the top to remove loose paint. (blurry pictures, still using camera phone)
I started to cover up with newspaper to avoid overspray.
Then I added more, just to be careful. DH said it looked like a scene from Dexter.
The first coat of primer
It didn't cover much and it made more bubble and flake off. I waiting the allotted time and sanded again.
A second coat of primer made it look much better.
I topped it off with white spray paint.
It is not quite the same sheen but it works. I was hoping to find a specific appliance spray paint, but they only had it in almond and black.
Overall, I'm very happy and I crossed that item off the list. Onto the rest.