Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Big Birthday

My baby sister (S#5, Mims, Mimi, Mairz, Mary, etc) turned 30 yesterday. I remember the day well. My sister woke me up that Saturday morning to let me know Mom went to have the baby. Mrs. Schaffler was going to take me to my soccer game. About halfway through the game, they pulled me out and told me that I had a baby sister. I said something to the effect of, "Great, but you could have yelled it from the sidelines, you didn't have to take me out of the game."

I can't imagine what our lives would be like without our Mims. She wasn't planning on celebrating, just another birthday, just another day. We couldn't let her do that, so we had a birthday dinner for her.

Here she is leaving a message for S#1 thanking her for her chocolates. She is now old enough to get a fancy box of caramels and could deny all children a piece of candy, because they are too precious for children.  She's holding the lamb pillow we gave her. Her nickname as a preschooler was "Mary had a Little Lamb" and she still gets lamb/sheep stuff. Our mother loves collections!

Photobucket

For dinner we made green egg pizza. I decided to pre-roll the dough. I used every single sheet pan I own.

Photobucket

It worked okay for the most part, but I was running low on corn meal and was stingy. It's not good to be stingy with cornmeal when your pre-rolling pizza dough. I learned that lesson and we worked around it. We also learned that the $10 pizza stone from the grocery store won't make it through two sessions of pizza making. At least, the break left about 2/3 of the stone intact and we were still able to finish cooking the pizzas. Now, I know what to get DH for Christmas this year, that and a pizza peel.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Everyone had fun making and eating their pizzas. The kids and DH ate the regular stuff: sausage, pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, onions, and cheese. The women had fancy ingredients, prosciutto and arugula. Yum!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I debated making a cake for her. There is another celebration planned for Friday, so I decided, cake for Friday, ice cream for the actual birthday dessert.

Photobucket

It was delicious!

It was a great celebration of 30 years of Mary. Here's to another 30!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

What makes it green egg pizza?

Sarah said...

We cooked it on the green egg using a pizza stone over the grill.