Monday, March 17, 2008

Breaking in the Husky

I got a husqvarna sewing machine for my christmas present. It has been sitting since late December. I've been meaning to get it out & use it. I've been meaning to take the free class that came with the machine. Other things just seem to come first.

So now we're a few hours into spring break and the children are going bonkers already.

I resorted to desperate measures. I promised A that she could make a doll quilt. Simple strips sewn together shouldn't be too hard. Now she's in there sewing. She's the first one to use my machine and it is taking every bit of patience and control I have in my body not to push her aside and say "It's my machine. Let me do it." It's killing me but I'm letting her sew all by herself. She's pinning and sewing and even seam ripping when she pinned wrong. And she hasn't broken the machine or the thread or the needle yet.

It is a lovely machine. I put it on slow speed so it doesn't matter how hard she pushes on the pedal, it only goes so fast. The bobbin thread doesn't get tangled and I don't have to take the whole contraption apart every 15 minutes or so. I can't wait to use it myself!

Even better, A is having a great time. She just ran in here to show me her progress. She was beaming as she told me, "Look, Mommy, I did it all by myself!" See, patience and control is a good thing.

No comments: