Friday, March 7, 2008

Cold turkey

We took the pacifier away this week. I was hesitant to do it. I kept putting off the time to take it away. He's my baby. I know we need to. He went to his first dentist visit a week ago and the first thing they asked was, "Does he suck his thumb or use a pacifier?" You can see it in his teeth & they look just like A's teeth. I'm not enjoying the orthodontics we're enduring now, I'd like to avoid it a second time. The longer he uses it, the worse the teeth will be.

So since I couldn't pull the plug, DH did. Sunday night he hid the paci and put B down. Boy was he mad. He kept yelling "Get it, get it, get it!" The first 4 days B cried for it every time we put him down. Sometimes it is was as little as 10 minutes, at least once it was more than 30 minutes. He hasn't been happy about it at all, but he has been sleeping.

Today what I feared most occurred. I put him in his crib for his nap and he didn't cry for the paci. Instead, he's been in there for 1.5 hours and he's still playing. He has read books, played with animals (and probably thrown them out of the crib), jumped up and down repeatedly, and called for me. But no tears. AND NO SLEEP!

I am not ready for him to give up naps. I know that some kids give up naps at this age. I need the nap time. Maybe he'll get exhausted and sleep eventually. My fingers are crossed!

No comments: