Monday, March 10, 2008

CVS killed the Easter Bunny

I asked A to clear the table for dinner tonight. There were some newspaper inserts, some cups and napkins. Not a hard task, unless you're a 7 year old and then everything asked of you is incredibly difficult. Instead of clearing, A sat down and started looking at the newspaper insert.

Next thing I know she stands up and exclaims, "I was right, there is no Easter Bunny. You guys fill the baskets." I didn't know what to say, so I replied, "What are you talking about?" She said, "Look at this, it proves it!"

I looked at the CVS insert. There across the top of the page was "Fill their baskets with treats they really want."

I told her to bring the paper and follow me. We went to DH's office and I asked Anna to show her dad. He said with his usual parental response, "If you don't believe in the Easter Bunny, then the Easter Bunny won't come." A huffed and turned to me with a sassy, "Mommy?" DH was behind her waving his arms, shaking his head and mouthing "No, don't tell her."

I'm such a bad liar. I didn't know what to do. I finally repeated that the Easter Bunny doesn't come if you don't believe. If she didn't believe then the Easter Bunny would come for her brothers and not for her. I asked her if she believed and she said that she would. I mean, who's going to say no to candy and presents.

Then after we left DH, I pulled her aside and said I didn't care what she believed but she has two little brothers and she could not talk about her doubts in front of them. She agreed. Hopefully they will keep the magic of Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy a little bit longer.

No comments: