Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cowboy Beans Results

Recipe: pinto beans, onion, garlic, ham hocks, water. Cook in slow cooker 8-9 hours on low. Add tomatoes, green chiles, salt, cilantro. Cook for 15 minutes longer. Refrigerate over night. Next day, reheat and serve.

Changes: The recipe called for 1 lb beans. My DH is a bean lover so I made 2 lbs. I checked the beans after 10 hours and they weren't even close to being done. I cooked them longer. After 2 more hours, still not done. At that point it was close to 10 pm. I decided just to keep them cooking overnight. I woke up at 4:30 and they were definitely done. I added the extra ingredients and let them cook maybe 10 minutes, put them in the fridge and went back to bed.

Results: DH loved them, definitely a keeper recipe. Other people at the football party said they liked them too. I wonder if I was suppose to cook them on high for 8-9 hours instead of on low. They were still quite crunchy after 10 hours. The end results were good.

No comments: