Wednesday, June 13, 2012

BooksmART

Last weekend was BooksmART, a second annual event at the DMA (Dallas Museum of Art) featuring authors of children's books. Last year we were incredibly busy and couldn't make it.  This year I had committed myself to decorating for VBS at the church so we weren't going to make it again.

Luckily for A, last weekend S#2 was not busy. S#2 is a children's librarian and she was very excited to go and she was very excited to take A, because she knows how much A loves to read.

The lineup for BooksmART was amazing.  They had Jack Gantos, 2012 Newbery Award winner, Chris Raschka, 2012 Caldecott Award winner, Rebecca Stead, 2010 Newbery Award winner, and more!

The day started with a scavenger hunt.

Go Van Gogh!
Photobucket

Finally found the clock, not the grandfather clock
Photobucket

posing like this painting
Photobucket


Then they got to meet some authors and get autographs.



Babymouse authors - Jennifer & Matthew Holm
Photobucket

When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead
Photobucket


Then they got to listen to some authors speak.



Chris Raschka
Photobucket

A helping act out A Ball for Daisy
Photobucket

Jack Gantos, author of Dead End in Norvelt
Photobucket


They all said that Jack Gantos was funny.  I'm disappointed that we read his book from the library.  I wish we owned it and could have had it signed.  Look at how he signed books for Mrs Larremore!

I'm disappointed that I missed such a good day.  I'll have to check the DMA calendar next year and make sure I keep that day free.

1 comment:

susan said...

Oh, my gosh - posing for that painting totally reminds me of doing that in the halls of Ursuline with a Mary picture. And, this post reminds me of when Jose Arrego came to Brentfield to talk and draw. He was AWESOME~