Monday, January 2, 2012

soup contest

S#2 & S#5 concocted a plan to use up the leftover chicken from our fajita dinner, a chicken tortilla soup contest.  They decided to hold it on Thursday afternoon during the ND bowl game.  When S#2 told me about it, I had to join in too.

I spent some time trolling the internet for recipes.  I considered this one and this one but in the end, I decided I had to use the cookbook I bought from Homesick Texan.  I've been reading the cookbook like it is a novel since it came in the mail but I still hadn't made any of the recipes.  Finally I found the perfect opportunity.

The recipe is only in the book not on her blog.  It is a smokier soup than usual, and is suppose to be made with dried pasilla peppers.  I couldn't find those and substituted with chipotle peppers.

Unfortunately the ND game wasn't worth watching but the soup competition was on!


the soups

Photobucket

the judges

Photobucket

the tasting

Photobucket

the winner

Photobucket


No, I wasn't the winner. Sort of.

Judge #1, Rachel, picked S#5 first and mine second. Judge #2, Mom, picked S#5 first and mine second. Judge #3, DH, picked mine first and S#2 second. Overall, S#5 got 2 out of three winner votes.  DH said we should use a point system. I got 2 second place (4 points) and 1 first place (3 points). S#5 got 2 first place (6 points) and 1 third place (1 point). We both had a total of 7 points, so a tie. Then a friend stopped by, tried the soups and picked my first. So I unofficially won. I know that deep down, the recipe is a winner.

And so S#2 doesn't feel left out of this post, she won the Kids Choice award. They all liked hers best. J wants me to make that recipe instead.

No comments: