Friday, May 1, 2009

How many times???

How many times will I have to call poison control?

About a month ago, B climbed on the counter can, got down a bottle of Lil' Critters GummiVites, and finished it off. I called the pediatrician who directed me to Poison Control. Luckily they said he would be okay. A one-time overdose of Vitamin A wouldn't harm him. They said no vitamins for B for 3 weeks, approximately the number of doses he ate.

Since B ate them all, we were out of vitamins. DH went out to Costco and bought another multipack of GummiVites and another pack of Calcium Gummy Bears. We had 5 bottles total.

This morning, B yelled at me from the playroom that he didn't want me to come in there. I knew right then something was bad, he was up to no good. I went in the playroom and found him innocently watching Nick Jr. with a smile on his face. Everything looked okay. There were no markers out, no food packages strew on the floor, no scissors in sight. I didn't search for evidence. I just assumed that I stopped him before he got into trouble.

This afternoon, J got out of school early. I picked him up with a promise of watching a movie when he got home. I got the boys settled and went to turn on the movie and tripped on a pillow. What did I find but an empty bottle of Calcium Gummy Bears.

Oh I was fuming! How could he do that again? How did I not put the vitamins in a much higher place? Why did I have to call Poison Control again? After I calmed down, I placed the call. Luckily, overeating calcium gummy bears might cause an upset stomach, but no worse.

I have to throw out the rest of the vitamins and buy some those yucky chalky kinds. Anything that will stop B from eating them like candy.

Hopefully, this will be my last call to poison control for awhile!

No comments: