Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wet

Saturday we went to the horse races for the Kentucky Derby and to celebrate my father's birthday.

We started off the day with lunch & boston creme pie cupcakes.

Photobucket


After eating we headed out to the races. It was actually a nice day for the races. We've been in the freezing cold & in the broiling hot, it can be miserable. The first part of the afternoon was lovely, cloudy with a nice breeze.

After a couple of hours it changed. DH & J had gone inside to buy nachos. My sister & A had gone inside to place a bet. My father came up and said the weather was looking nasty to the south and we should leave. He headed in to cash in his vouchers. I stayed at the table with B to wait for everyone else to get back. Dad wasn't gone for a minute when the storm hit and hit hard. It came pouring down. B was freaking out. I grabbed the cooler and headed inside along with hundreds of other people. We made it to the threshold of the door before the crowd came to a standstill. They weren't moving anymore. Water was pouring off the roof onto B & me. He was hysterical. We slowly made our way into the building. Dad called my cell and found me. We found A & my sister. We managed to push through the crowd and stood by a column. Dad took all vouchers and got in line to cash them. I was on the phone trying to call DH to find him. He was in another line. It took us another 30 minutes or so to meet up and get out of there.

When I got home I found out that the same storm had blown over the Cowboys' practice dome. Crazy afternoon, poor B was traumatized. He keeps telling me that he loves the horse races except for the scary rain.

At least the cupcakes were fabulous.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow - that is crazy!! When is your dad's bday? My dad's is today (4th).