Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yard work

When we moved into this house, we pulled out a lot of hardscaping. We've had piles of bricks and landscape edging rocks in piles by our driveway for almost 3 years.

Most of our evenings lately have been spent sitting in the grass in the backyard pulling weeds. We have something called Virginia Button Weed that was threatening to take over the whole yard. I gave up and called Gary the Grass Guy. He brought Arturo over and had him dig and till 1/4 of our yard and laid down new sod. While they were here, I decided to do something with the brick. We have a tool shed & toy shed on one side of our driveway. It was just weeds in front of these buildings.

Arturo dug out the dirt and laid the bricks to make a nice pathway on the side of the drive. It looks lovely.

Photobucket

Photobucket


We had a large dirt pile to the back of the toy shed before this work was done. Arturo dumped the rest of the dirt on top and now we have a huge dirt pile. DH & Arturo filled the back of the new pickup truck with dirt and DH drove it down to the dump. One truckload didn't make a dent in the pile.

Photobucket


The boys went with DH to the dump. J came back telling tales of finding 2 foot long worms at the dump and touching them. I was totally grossed out until DH told me it was true and the worms were in our dirt. Boy, was I sad. He had just tossed out who knows how many worms that I could have moved to our garden.

After dinner A & I went on a worm hunt. I used a pitchfork and she had a shovel and we turned the pile looking for worms. We found quite a few. None were 2 feet long but there were a couple over 6 inches!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You want to see worms? Come to Seattle after a hard spring rain. You'll be happy to know that when I find worms in the driveway I do NOT drive over them with my car - I take a shovel and carefully pick them up and put them back in the soil.

I think it's funny that as you scroll down through your blog you see a picture of worms and then a picture of green beans.