Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wowa's birthday

Yesterday was my mother's birthday.

I spent a lot of time this week picking what to make for dessert. I finally decided on a salted caramel chocolate cake from Martha Stewart's November magazine. I have never made caramel before so it would be an adventure.



Photobucket


The caramel sort of seized when I stirred in all the butter so it was grainy, but it still tasted good. After reading lots of comments about falling cakes, I reduced the size from 6 layers to 4 layers and it stayed up just fine.



Photobucket


I love the sea salt sprinkled on top.



Photobucket


Mom called on Monday to request homemade pizza for her birthday dinner. I've made a it a few times recently and it has turned out delicious. The crust on the cheese pizza was just average, but the crust on the sausage/mushroom/onion and the bacon/tomato was excellent. Good thing the kids eat the cheese pizza, no need to waste the good stuff on them.



Photobucket


I have been working for a few weeks on a hat. Mom has worked in neurosurgery for years. I thought she needed her own brain hat. Of course I didn't finish it in time so she got half a brain hat. She loved it anyway.



Photobucket

Photobucket


And just in case she doesn't want to walk around with a brain on her head all the time, I got her a hot pink mannequin head to sit on her desk.



Photobucket


After the thrill of the birthday presents (she also got a chewy praline and a bottle of champagne), we had the cake.



Photobucket


It was good, rich but good. I'm still disappointed in my caramel, but overall, I was happy with it.

Finally, for entertainment, ArmyGuy-Pirate-Spiderman-Aggie guy came to entertain. Silly B!



Photobucket


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Looks like a great party!