Thursday, December 20, 2007

Done!

I volunteered for the position of room mom, but I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time.

I found out on Tuesday that they don't plan the class parties for the preschool like they do in the grade school. In the grade school, the party comes in a bag. There is a craft, a game, a snack and goody bags. You split the kids up and follow the directions and everyone is happy. I talked to the grade rep who directed me to the teacher who directed me to the other teacher who said my room mom planned our party. You can just do whatever you want.

That was on Tuesday. The party was Thursday morning.

Well, it is now Thursday morning and somehow I managed to pull it off. Last night the kids and I made chocolate chip cookies. I spent an hour cutting out ornament shapes for the craft. Then I was worried that I wouldn't have enough for the kids to do and I didn't have a goody bag. I made a quick batch of rice krispy treats, cut them big and wrapped them up for each kid.

Today was chaotic but we got it done. The one mom who offered to help actually forgot. Okay, I only asked one mom to help so it wasn't like the other moms refused. It was so last minute, I figured it was too late to try and round up help. I happened to run into this mom in the parking lot and she asked what she could do to help. I said, "Bring coffee filters." Then I saw her running down the hall after the play with keys in hand. Luckily the teacher was able to find a stack of filters in the lounge and all went according to plan.

We made coffee filter snowflakes, iced & decorated graham crackers and made these ornaments The room was a mess when we were done. Green sprinkles, little triangles of coffee filters and tissue paper squares were everywhere. The forgetful mom and her husband were a blessing. They manned a couple of tables and helped the kids with the crafts. But best of all, the children had fun.

I meant to take pictures. I wanted pictures of the kids with their ornaments but I was a little bit busy. Oh well.

Now I can relax until Valentine's Day.

No comments: