Friday, October 24, 2008

On a roll

Since I had the sewing machine out, I got motivated to finish a long neglected project, J's quilt. It only took me 6 months to bind it. The binding is pretty darn sloppy but I'll take it.

Photobucket


We had another cousin birthday this week and the party is on Sunday. I decided to make something instead of buy more plastic junk. Last year Cousin L got a headband & a little purse. This year she's getting a handmade notebook and colored pencils.

I found this tutorial on how make your own journal. It uses photographs as the covers. Since we didn't have any photographs my 4 year old neice would really appreciate, the kids and I decided to make some. A dressed her Barbies up and we went outside for a photo shoot. The pictures came out cute.

Front cover
Photobucket
Back cover picture
Photobucket

The journal isn't perfect. First of all, I accidentally ordered the pictures with a border. I would skip that next time. I also need a jig for my paper cutter. The paper sizes were all slightly different. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but the cover photographs were slighter shorter than 6" and the pages stick out. I need to work on my technique getting the binding straight and folding the binding cover nicely. It was fun & easy project and I'll probably make some more. I want to get a perforated disk for my paper cutter and make journals with tear out pages. I'm imagining really cute notebooks for grocery & to-do lists.

No comments: