Sunday, October 12, 2008

Camping Out

Yesterday I took 9 Brownies to Camp Skills day. There were two other moms there so I'm not a total glutton for punishment. They learned how to start a fire, pitch a tent, how to clean dishes and set up a wash station, what to pack for camping and what to do in bad weather. They all loved starting the fire. I don't do well with fire, especially with 9 eight year olds shoving little bits of sticks and blowing to get their fires going. The girls had a great time and I survived.

The day of camping inspired A. She came home and immediately got her dad to pull out his old Boy Scout tent and she helped him pitch it in the backyard. She asked if she could sleep in the tent last night and I said "Sure." DH looked at me like I was crazy. I told him it was fine. I could say yes, but she won't do it. Sure enough around bedtime, she decided to sleep in her bed.

Well, tonight she and J decided that they wanted to sleep in the tent. I said yes again because there was no way they would actually do it. But after getting ready for bed, they gathered all the essentials (pillows, blankets, books, flashlight, blankies, animals) and headed out to the tent. They have been out there for at least 30 minutes. I keep waiting to hear the door open. Part of me is starting to panic because what if they actually make it. What if a homicidal maniac realizes that my children are sleeping in a tent in my backyard???? The other part of me is hoping they just fall asleep and stay asleep because I don't want to move children to their beds at 2 in the morning.

So sleep tight my little campers. I'll see you in the morning.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You continue to amaze me, brave woman. About camping out - did they make it? I'm dying to know! Jack and Dan did it once in TN and I thought for sure they wouldn't make it. Dan would be too uncomfortable and Jack would want to come in. But, they made it. Of course, that's one adult and one child. I don't know if it was just the kids...