Thursday, October 16, 2008

State Fair

The 3rd grade went on a field trip to the State Fair today. We started off with heifer judging, moved to cow milking demonstration, farm critters, children's petting zoo, lunch, Moo U (learning about all the animals shown at the fair), Creative arts exhibit to see all the award winning items and finally the dog show.

It was a long day but a lot of fun. I had to chaperone 5 kids with another mom, so it wasn't too crazy. There was only once where I lost track of child and thought "Oh, s*$&#(%, where is she?"

Funniest/awkwardest moment of the day. During the Moo U tour, the guide was describing all the different types of cattle that are shown at the fair. A bull stood up.

(More than once, DH gave me a hard time because I didn't know difference between a bull and a steer. If you've ever eaten calf fries, then you know the difference.)

Well, this one was definitely a bull with a long full scrotum hanging quite close to the ground. One of the girls in our group turned to me and asked what that "hangy thing under the cow was." I'm sure I blushed and didn't know what to say. After a second of panic, I told her that it was the testes. She looked at me funny and dropped the subject. I don't know if she knows what that is, but at least her mother is the one who has to explain, not me!

No comments: