Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday and all is well

Last night a huge storm blew through. DH was at Dad's Club. I was asleep in bed. It woke me up at 10:45 and suddenly remembered that I hadn't parked the car in the garage. The thudding of hail made me run, find the keys, race outside, park the car, calm down the dog, close the open kitchen window and worry.

I spent the next hour watching the radar, wondering where The Pines camp was, worrying if the storm was going to get worse and would it hit the camp. I am a pessimistic and imaginative person and could not stop thinking about the disaster that was about to occur. Lucky for me the local weather channel stopped covering the storm when it exited its viewing area, about 2 towns away from the camp. I couldn't watch the storm move across the state on the radar anymore so I finally fell asleep after 12:30. I woke up this morning and, although there was lots of talk of the storm and the hail, there was no talk of a camp full of kids being killed. I decided they must have survived okay.

Today I was scheduled to take a drop spindle class at the Shabby Sheep, a LYS. I've always wanted to spin yarn. Our family took a trip when I was about 8 years old. Mom took us girls and a cousin to San Antonio to visit the Five Missions. I don't remember much except the heat, S#4 throwing up, and the woman at one mission demonstrating spinning. I got to use old carders to clean wool. I think that must have been the inspiration for my current fiber enthusiasm.

I enjoyed the class today even through I wasn't very good at it. My yarn was very kinky. This little hank was about 1 1/2 hours worth of work and is about 3 inches long and 1 inch thick. I guess it isn't too bad for my very first try.

Photobucket


I came home from class to find A safe and sound. No problems. They had a little rain last night and she slept through it. I'm happy that they weren't frightened. She told me all about her trip. Now A & J helped mom make rolls for dinner tonight.

Photobucket


It is nice having my little family back home together.

No comments: