Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Piano lessons

J's been asking for piano lessons for awhile. I tried to find some for him last fall. It turns out they were either too expensive or they were full.

I got a cold call from some woman in January asking about giving piano lessons in my home. She gave me several references in the neighborhood. I thought about doing it but it wasn't a good time to add something else to my schedule. She was persistent, calling back every few months to see if I was still interested. Every time I told her it wasn't a good time to start.

Finally this summer she called again, and I decided it was finally time to start.

Mrs. K showed up this afternoon. When she drove up, DH asked me if I hired some hippie teacher. She was driving a beat up Volkswagon bus. She is a old lady. I had guessed as much from our phone conversations. She carried a hand stitched patchwork bag. Her clothes were crazy old lady polyester duds. I wasn't too sure about her.

However, the lesson went well. J loved it. She played a rag version of "Oh, when the saints" for him at the end of the lesson and told him that some day he would play the piano just like that.

As she left, I got worried about her. Here is this poor old woman who has to drive around teaching piano lessons to make money, carrying her beat up old bag, driving a van that looked like it was about to fall apart. As I said goodbye, I said a quick prayer that she didn't actually live in that van.

No comments: