Monday, February 16, 2009

Tooth Fairy

J had a loose tooth for the past 3 months. I discovered it before Christmas when the new tooth popped through behind the baby one. The baby tooth was loose, but firmly attached in front. We wiggled it when he would let me, but that wasn't often. I was sure it would come out over Christmas break. I had grand plans of making him a tooth fairy pillow for Christmas. I never got around to it but it was okay because the tooth was still there.

In January, my friend Susan posted about her son losing his tooth and I thought it was a brilliant idea. J, not so much. He wanted nothing to do with it.

A had an orthodontist appointment two weeks ago, so I dragged J over to see the dentist and she said since the new tooth came in behind, it wasn't putting pressure on the front roots of the tooth. She said it may take time, but keep wiggling and it will eventually come out.

On Friday, J allowed me to look at his tooth. I practically had to sit on my hands to prove to him that I would not touch/yank/pull/wiggle it. He showed me that he could push it almost all the way out with his tongue but he wasn't ready to pull it. He went to grandparents on Saturday and I warned them it was about to fall out. When we picked him up on Sunday, it was still hanging in there.

Finally, last night, he asked me to pull it. I sat down and put him in my lap. I reached in to get hold of the tooth and it slipped from my fingers. J immediately pursed his lips and said he was not going to pull it. I told him that the tooth fairy knows when is a kid is cooperative in tooth pulling and the tooth fairy doesn't bring as much to a kid who fights with his mom when she tries in pull his tooth. Yes, I resorted to bullying tactics. It worked. He opened his mouth and I grabbed the tooth. He grimaced waiting for the awful pulling. He didn't realized that the tooth popped out the minute I grabbed it. We put it in the plastic treasure box the dentist gave him. Good thing I never made that tooth fairy pillow!

Afterward, he acted all brave, like there had never been a struggle. That was the easiest thing ever and why did I ever make a fuss?? What bravado! Now he's happily smiling and pushing his tongue through the hole where his tooth was. He had 3 more loose teeth. What fun I have to look forward too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

evergreenknits said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that you won a copy of my Dogwood & Clover pattern on my blog.

Could you drop me a line at my email (evergreenknits[at]gmail[dot]com) or on Ravelry (evergreenknits) so that I can send you the pattern?

Thanks!