Sunday, February 8, 2009

Drama of the Girl Scout Leader

I have 4 girls, A, B, C & D.

A & B are schedule to lead meeting 1.

2 Junior Girls Scouts working on their Bronze award are planning a workshop at meeting 2.

C & D are scheduled to lead meeting 3.

Meeting 1 gets cancelled because of the ice day. I need to reschedule so I decide to push them to an open date in April.

A week or so ago, I get a email from C's mom that she and D's mom cannot make meeting 3. She asks for the meeting schedule so she can try and switch with someone else.

A few days later I get an email from the Junior Girl Scouts who are doing meeting 2. They can't make that date. I tell them to take meeting 3. I let C's mom know. She mentions taking meeting 2 instead but never confirmed.

Meeting 2 is Wednesday. Saturday I still don't know what's going on so I email A & B's moms and ask if they can come to meeting 2. They can and all is hunky-dory.

This afternoon I get an email from C's mom saying that she's planning on coming to meeting 2 on Wednesday. I spent the afternoon thinking about how I've mishandled the situation and how I can diplomatically say no to C's mom.

(Her conflict was that she has a new job and has a hard time taking time off. So if she's planning on Wed then she probably scheduled time off.)

I send C's mom an email and I probably made her mad.

Not two minutes after I send the email to C's mom, I get an email from A's mom that there has been a death in the family and she can't make it to meeting 2.

Great!

I send a note to C's mom suggesting that if she is already free on Wed, that she and B's mom help the girls host the meeting 2 and we'll put A with D in a meeting in April.

Gosh, I really hope that this works out but I highly doubt it. The way things have gone in Brownies this year, it will all fall apart. If things do go to heck, I've already decided I'm just going to cancel meeting 2 and deal with it later.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am utterly confused. And, I will never be a leader. I'm a follower all the way, baby!