Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It only took 10 years for her to stab me!

Today was prep day for Thanksgiving. The kids were spending the day with the ILs. I had a list of chores to get done. Clean house, bake pies, make birthday cake for B, make stuffing. Lots to do. I didn't anticipate a stabbing.

Here's what happened. DH wanted an apple pie for Thanksgiving. (See, this was all his fault!) I was using my mother's apple peeler/corer/slicer thing. Its a fun thing. The kids love to use it. DH had never seen it in action. He thought it was cool. I asked him if he wanted to use it to slice up the last of the apples.

DH was on one side of the counter peeling/slicing/coring the apples. I was standing on the opposite side of the counter using a paring knife to get some little bits of core out of the apples. DH tried to pull the apple core off the tool but it was stuck. He yanked and his hand flew out and hit the paring knife. It stabbed him in the palm of his left hand just above the wrist. He started screaming and cursing and blood started spurting all over. He ran from the room grabbing his hand with blood flying. I stood there in shock for a moment. I grabbed a wet washcloth and started trying to clean up the blood. I then saw it on the wall and on the floor and on the bathroom door. It was everywhere. DH had his hand under rushing water in the bathroom. I grabbed a towel, got his hand out of the sink and told him to put pressure on it. I told him to go to the car while I found keys and a cell phone. He didn't go, he just stood there. I told him to get in the car again. He finally whispered that he couldn't open the door. I finally found my stuff and got us both in the car.

I drove off intending to go to the ER. I called my sister to come turn off the oven so my pumpkin pie wouldn't burn. We ended up stopping at a PrimaCare. I still fairly panicked because DH was complaining about feeling very faint. (I think it was fear and pain, not blood loss.) I really started to lose it when I had to fill out the paperwork and the accident report. I had to give the reason for the visit. I really wanted to put "KNIFE WOUND" but I decided that it sounded too gangster so I wrote "CUT" instead. It all struck me as very funny and I started laughing, then I started crying, saying I was sorry. DH thought I was crazy for crying since I stabbed him not myself.

In the end, I left DH at the clinic to get fixed up and I went home and finished making the apple pie. He survived my stabbing with 3 stitches. But he did tell the doctor it only took 10 years for her to stab me!

DH told me afterward that he was surprised that I didn't take out the camera and take pictures of his gushing blood for the blog. I was slightly offended because I didn't even think about until after I knew he was going to be okay. These post incident photos will have to do.

Photobucket
The bloody evidence!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Kristin said...

So Chris should be thankful today that you didn't hit an artery? Oh wow. Have an extra beer today Chris, you deserve it!!