Saturday, June 14, 2008

Luby's

DH & #2 BIL have always claimed that there are certain idiosyncrasies that all my sisters and I have. Whenever they come across one, they say "it's one of those Holland girl things." I'm sure they have a long list of common traits we hold. Tonight it was a dislike of cafeterias.

DH & #2 BIL have been discussing going to Luby's for dinner for a long time. Both insist how great it would be. All kinds of food to choose from, the kids eat free on Saturdays, it is like a food paradise. #2 sister and I have told them that we don't like to eat at cafeterias. I don't know my sister's complaints, but I have issues with the troughs of precooked food sitting under heat lamps and sneeze guards. It reminds me of being in college. Memories of picking up a plate with unappetizing food slopped on it and then carrying the tray to a table in a huge horribly decorated room, ugh. I don't need to relive it.

Tonight DH suggested that we go to Luby's for dinner. I didn't have a suggestion to counter it so I said fine. DH would never get rid of this Luby's obsession unless I let us eat there. So off we went.

We walked in with the kids and immediately a strange aroma hit me. It smelled like old fish and bad broccoli. I wanted to hold my nose and/or run out the door. I looked at the food as we walked to the end of the line and decided that the rolls looked edible.

I looked up at DH and he says, "Well, we could go to Franki's." I was incredulous. Not wanting to be the one who said no to Luby's, I replied that we were already there and we should probably stay. He insisted we go.

Oh, how I laughed. I was on the phone with my sister before we were out of the parking lot. At least now we have DH on our side when #2 BIL suggests Luby's for dinner. He's finally becoming like "one of those Holland girls."

No comments: