Tuesday, June 24, 2008

chores

We've been working on chores around our house this summer. I've been trying to get the kids to understand that chores are part of being in a family. I do chores, they do chores. I'm not asking much, clean the table, put away laundry. The way they react, you would think I was asking them to do the impossible.

Last night I asked J to put his clothes in the drawer. I even got them out of the basket and put them in stacks of like clothes. He got mad and knocked over the pile of shirts. I told him that he would have to fold the shirts before he put them in the drawer and left the room.

I returned a few minutes later expecting to find him on the floor crying because I am such a "mean, mean, mean mommy." Instead I found him happily folding away. And then he told me that I've been holding it wrong. He showed me how he folded his shirts and I decided that from now on, he can fold all the shirts in the house. I even called DH to watch him fold.

I asked him more than once how he learned to fold his shirts. He says he just made it up. I wonder if the MIL showed him how to fold a shirt or if he watched someone in a store. I find it hard to believe that a 5 year old figured out how to do this. No matter what he's got a career ahead of him at the Gap or Banana Republic or some other store with nicely folded clothes.

J wants it on the blog. His wish is granted.

No comments: