Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Warning: Bug update

In the past week, the caterpillar has been hanging out, eating parsley and it molted once. Yesterday morning we found it hanging from a branch with silk thread. I spent all day checking on it expecting to see the chrysalis form. I even checked at midnight last night before I went to bed. It was still just a caterpillar hanging from a branch. Of course, overnight it transformed itself.

Photobucket


From all the googling I've read, it should hang out there for the next week or two before the butterfly will emerge. I The kids can't wait.

And for more large texas bugs, we have a huge moth hanging out on our front door. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of moth it is. I'm pretty sure it is an Io moth.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Mickymar said...

I believe you are right! The IO moth is one of the only moths that is just a beautiful as a butterfly. I have studied your moth, and I can see its 'eyes' on it wings, this in a sure teller that it is a IO. BUT then I am not a bugologist!!

Gift Baskets