Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Our family is expanding

No, we're not having another baby, but DH is getting a lot of use out of the line.

J has been on the campaign to get a dog. He really, really, really wants one. We held him off by telling him that he would have to pick up the poop in the yard. He's gotten past that and wants a dog.

In order to avoid a dog, I was open to other pets. J's friend has a gerbil/hamster like thing. We checked out books on turtles. I was willing to buy a snake.

Last weekend we took a trip to PetSmart to look at potential pets. I ruled out the gerbil/hamster route. I couldn't handle the smell. I was disappointed to find out that a small milk snake costs $100.00. I wasn't willing to spend that on a 6 inch snake. In the end, we went back the pets we had 3 years ago, fish.

We came home with 2 bettas
Photobucket


And 3 stripey fish, a sucker fish and a frog
Photobucket


The bettas are for A and the boys are sharing the others. We lost the sucker fish after two days. Luckily, PetSmart has a 14 day guarantee on fish. I bagged it up and took it in. B was mad because he wanted the bones to come out so he could take them into the Science Exchange at the zoo and get points.

We've had the fish for less than a week and J is still campaigning for a dog. This afternoon he told me that he was going to grow up and have lots of dogs. I told him it was fine with me but he had to make sure that he married a girl who wanted lots of dogs. He told me that he was going to marry a zoo keeper then she would love all kind of animals. He and A started naming all kinds of exotic animals he could have. B said that he could have a tiny baby giraffe. Both J & A told him no. His response, "Oh, yeah, you can't have a giraffe because they poop."

3 comments:

Susan said...

Why no dog? Just curious. I can give you a good idea if it's a remote possibility...

Susan said...

By the way... fish are lame.

Kristin said...

You guys had better be careful talking like that! It all seems like fun and games now......

Congratulations on the fish! Better you than us!