Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The end of summer - Ouch

There's only one week until A & J start back to school. I decided that we should take advantage of the end of summer. The children were lazing in front of the tv again, watching endless repeats of Wizards of Waverly Place and Suite Life on Deck. I turned off the tv and announced we were riding our bikes to the pool. The children all protested, but I insisted. I packed up towels and sunscreen and off we went.

I should have known better.

We got to the pool fine. At the bike racks, I turned around to get Brian out of the bike seat and the bike started to go over. I grabbed the handlebars to straighten it up but somehow managed to pull up on them instead. That threw all the weight to the back of the bike. The bike was already falling over, there was no way to save myself. I tried to turn back to help break B's fall but could do nothing, we were both going down. I landed on my rear, and the bike went down on the side. B was screaming. I sat up and got him out of the seat. He was screaming but he had his helmet on so he was okay. A was yelling over and over, "Are you okay? Are you okay?" I told her I wasn't sure. I waited until B was calm enough to set him down and stood up. Wow, pain! I called DH and told him that he needed to come pick up us after we went swimming. There was no way I was going to ride my bike home.

I don't think I broke my tailbone, but it is definitely bruised. I never realized how much you use that part of your body. Every time I stand, sit, lift, reach, etc, I feel it.

At then end of it all, A turned to me and said, "See, Mom, I told you we shouldn't have gone to the pool!" I guess she was right.

No comments: