Thursday, February 18, 2010

I heart diet coke

I adore diet coke. It is a magic elixir, it is ambrosia. If it were alcohol, I would be an alcoholic. I'm addicted to the stuff.

I have known for quite sometime that diet coke probably isn't good for me. I've read lots of web sites that show the brain cancer and other bad effects that can come from drinking diet coke. Despite all of that, I love the stuff, it is so good.

Still, it has been nagging at me. I knew I needed to quit the diet coke. I decided to make a start and cut back on my intake. For the past month or so, I've had one diet coke a day. (Well, there have been the occasional slip where I've gone out to dinner and had multiple refills, but for the most part, I've stuck to one.)

Finally, I decided that Lent would be the perfect time to break my diet coke habit. In the last week before Ash Wednesday, I indulged in all the diet coke I wanted. Tuesday night I popped open my last one, a 12 ounce can. After I opened it I realized I should have driven to the store and gotten a big 20 ounce for my last one.

It has been almost 48 hours since my last diet coke. I'm not jonesing. I don't think about it constantly. DH opened one this morning, and despite giving him a hard time about tempting me, I didn't have any urge to punch him and down his diet coke. I didn't feel angry that he gets to drink a diet coke and I don't. That's good. Last night I was cranky & tired. I could blame it on the lack of diet coke but, honestly, I'm cranky & tired most nights at 8:30. Putting the children to bed just wears me out.

I've given up diet coke for Lent before but I popped open a can and chugged as soon as the Easter egg hunt commenced. I'm hoping that this time I will give it up for good. We'll see.

4 comments:

susan said...

I'm working toward the same goal. Only for me, it's Diet Dr. Pepper. It's the ONLY thing I drink. And, I drink 5-6 a day!!! Yes, despite being pg, I still drink a lot of it.I gave it up with the first pg, cut back with the second and said, "screw it" after that. But, I know it isn't good for me or baby and since I had to give up sweets because of the GD, I needed something hard for Lent. I picked the DDP. However, I didn't decide until this week. So, I haven't totally quit yet, as when I only had two on Monday, I got a killer headache. So, I've cut back and made it down to two today and tomorrow I will have my last one. Hopefully. I can do it, right?!?

Sarah said...

Yes, we can do it!!!

Bernie said...

While I can't wish an awful flu on you it would make things easier. I know you can do this. I was just as addicted as you and I feel the same way about Diet Coke. I still think about it and when it's been 4-5 days since I had one I know that I've done well and I can indulge with one (but sometimes I don't even finish it.) Even if you go back to drinking it after lent it doesn't have to be everyday. Just so you know - for me 2 days, 2 meals. Last night was just packaged gnocchi but I made salad and breadsticks as well. Tonight I made chicken pot pie. Can I really keep this up?

Kristin said...

You can do this! A few years ago I stopped drinking pop altogether. I never have it anymore and I don't even want it. I prefer water (really!). Of course I have my huge coffee habit that supports me (but I wouldn't be a proper northwesterner without one, would I?)

You need to just post a daily tally, even if you slip.

BTW - Dallas has had more snow than Seattle this year. Amazing! Trees and shrubs are starting to bloom here, crazy.