Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Heat, part 2

I haven't been in the backyard in ages. It's been too darn hot.

Tonight, again thanks to T.S. Edouard, it was a mildly pleasant 94 degrees outside. Compared to the 107 degrees over the weekend, it felt good. The whole family went outside to play some basketball. After my miraculous win in a game of around the world and then my pathetic showing in the follow up game (proving that the first game was miraculous), I headed out to check on the plants.

A was first in the flower bed. She asked me if jalapenos turn red. Sure enough some of the jalapenos were ripe. I don't know if red means they are beyond ripe. I guess we'll find out when we eat them.


Photobucket


The tomatoes aren't fairing so well. Last year we had an abundance of rain and an abundance of tomatoes. This year we've had a lot of flowers but very few tomatoes. The creatures are getting to them before they are even close to a homegrown tomato.


Photobucket


There'll be no homemade salsa for us this year. Hopefully we'll have better luck next year.

No comments: