Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Baby Monarch!

I love watching caterpillars turn into moths & butterflies.  We've been lucky to have a black swallowtail and polyphemus moth transform for us.

After watching the monarch on the milkweed last week, I decided to check the plants for eggs. Yesterday I found one. I did some quick google research on raising monarchs and decided to try.

I plucked the leaf with the egg on it yesterday. It was completely white. This morning it had a black spot, so I knew it was close to hatching.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I was sitting at my computer contemplating working when I looked down to see the caterpillar coming out of the egg.  Oh, so exciting!!!!



Photobucket

Photobucket


It is happily eating away at the egg sac now. I don't know if I'm going to be able to work today. I may be caterpillar watching instead.


No comments: