Friday, March 5, 2010

temptation

The temptation is so strong. I think about it all the time. I dream about it. I want to drink it. I am addicted to diet coke and I gave it up. (Okay, I'll be honest. I've had a diet coke the past 2 Sundays, but for me, that is huge. This is the longest I've gone without diet coke since I was pregnant with B.)

I scheme & plan for diet coke.

I could swing by the dollar store after dropping B off at school and finish it in the 1/4 mile trip home. There would be evidence in the plastic bottle but I could probably manage to hide it in the recycling.

I was in Jo-Anns with B and there was a cooler with diet coke right by the checkout line. I could grab one. B wouldn't remember that I'm not suppose to drink diet coke. Again there is the issue of hiding the bottle.

I took J to an academic fair today. I could go to the cafeteria while waiting for him to finish his test and drink a diet coke and no one would ever know.

I actually gave that one a lot of thought. I wondered if they would have diet coke. Would they have it in cans or bottles? (cans) Would it be really cold? (it looked almost icy) Would anyone who knows I gave up diet coke be there? (yes, but she probably wouldn't remember) Would I get caught? (probably not)

As I walked down the stairs to the cafeteria, I reminded myself that this whole Lenten sacrifice is suppose to be just that, a sacrifice. It isn't suppose to be easy. I bought a bottle of water and went back to wait with the other parents. It was like being in hell. Every single one was drinking a diet coke. Okay, maybe that is a slight exaggeration. I counted 7 cans of diet cokes in the hands of the fellow parents around me.

I resisted the temptation. I sacrificed. I survived.

No comments: