Monday, January 28, 2008

How could I have missed it???

Yesterday was National Chocolate Cake Day!!! I didn't bake a cake. I probably should have. I heard about it on Friday. My sister M emailed me asking if she could come check out a recipe. I figured that M would bake a chocolate cake and I could just enjoy the fruits of her labor without all the mess.

M did bake a chocolate cake, in fact she baked two chocolate cakes. First she baked Gâteau au chocolat fondant de Nathalie by Orangette. (I think this is the one, yes M???) And then by the off chance that the first cake didn't turn out so good, she baked a texas sheet cake. This is an old family favorite, except that my mother made it so much that I got really sick of it and it isn't so much a favorite of mine anymore.

But did M bake a cake and bring it to me on National Chocolate Cake Day??? No, instead she threw a cake party. 2 chocolate cakes, 6 friends, Sunday night partying until the wee hours of 10pm. What a carefree life she leads. If only I was young again. Luckily she has only 5 friends (just joking, M!) and the six of them couldn't possible eat 2 whole chocolate cakes in one evening. This morning I got an email from M offering to come by with the extras. I think she got the picture that my family wanted cake since we called her cell phone multiple times last night wondering when we were going to get cake. I swear this was all at the urging of J, he really really really wanted chocolate cake last night!

I was gracious enough to invite M to come for dinner. We enjoyed a lovely evening with a wonderful dessert. DH and I shared the french chocolate cake which was deep and rich and divine. It was wonderful. The kids each has a piece of the texas sheet cake. I picked a couple of pecans off the top because I still like that part. They were good too.

M tells me that there is a National Bundt Cake Day in November. I'm not going to miss that one. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to buy me a pretty new bundt pan from WS. I can always find an excuse for a new bundt pan.

No comments: